The Music Of Laurie Johnson Vol. 1: The Avengers
Please note, territorial restrictions may apply to this product.
• Laurie Johnson is responsible is for some of the best-loved TV themes ever: The Avengers, The Professionals, Animal Magic and This is Your life (all featured here), to name but a few. But in his 60 year career he has also written many film themes, classical works and even works for military bands. These works have never previously been presented together in one set.
• This slipcased 3 CD landmark “History Of…” set has been compiled, annotated and mastered from the original mastertapes by Laurie Johnson himself, and packaged with photos and memorabilia from his own collection.
• Disc 1 contains seventy minutes’ worth of music from sixteen different episodes of The Avengers, available on CD for the first time ever.
• Disc 2 features Laurie’s themes for The Professionals, Animal Magic, Whicker’s World, This Is Your Life, Dr. Strangelove and many more.
• Disc 3 collects some of his adventurous works for military bands, including a piece composed for the 2007 Falklands 25 remembrance.
|| ||The Avengers Theme|
|| ||Dead Man's Treasure (Treasure Hunt)|
|| ||Escape In Time|
|| ||What The Butler Saw (March Of The Butlers)|
|| ||Honey For The Prince (Fantasy Dance)|
|| ||Invasion Of The Earth Men|
|| ||Return Of The Cybernauts|
|| ||Quick Quick Slow Death (Foxtrot)|
|| ||Quick Quick Slow Death (Waltz)|
|| ||A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Station|
|| ||The Superlative Seven|
|| ||Mission Highly Improbable|
|| ||From Venus With Love|
|| ||The See-through Man|
|| ||Hidden Tiger|
|| ||The Living Dead|
|| ||Tag Scene|
|| ||The Avengers Theme|
|| ||This Is Your Life|
|| ||The New Avengers |
|| ||Animal Magic|
|| ||The Professionals|
|| ||Riviera Police|
|| ||When The Kissing Had To Stop|
|| ||Whicker's World|
|| ||World In Action|
|| ||Pick Yourself Up|
|| ||Fascinating Rhythm|
|| ||First Men In The Moon|
|| ||Tiger Bay|
|| ||Dr. Strangelove - Final Bomb Run|
|| ||Hot Millions|
|| ||The Beauty Jungle|
|| ||Symphony (Synthesis)|
|| ||Fanfare For HRH Prince Of Wales|
|| ||Falklands Salute (F25 March)|
|| ||Royal Tour Suite|
|| ||To The Few|
“A three-disc salute to the master-craftsman of the TV theme tune”
Laurie Johnson is perhaps the last from a golden age of British TV and film composers and the long-overdue three-disc collection harbours both familiar tunes and some very pleasant surprises. The first disc concentrates on The Avengers – you’ll know the theme but it’s the incidental pieces that grab you as Johnson turns a musical phrase to suit the many moods, be they action, suspense or mere ‘60s whimsy.
The second disc is more varied, the TV favourites coming thick and fast (including The Professionals, Whicker’s World and Animal Magic). There’s also a handful of his jazz-tinged ‘50s singles and a scattering of his film work (including Dr. Strangelove). The third disc concerns itself with his military compositions, his close understanding of the forces displaying both passion and pathos.
A cracking collection that shows the vast imagination of an often overlooked national treasure.
Record Collector, February 08
This is big news in the soundtrack world, as it brings together for the first time the unreleased incidental music from The Avengers. Disc One is this lost Avengers muzak, over an hour, and 35 cues long, it’s a mixed bag of straight drama, jazzy tension, slightly twisted easy and all sorts of odd and charming music to get killed to. Disc Two is Johnson’s other TV work, his miscellaneous film themes, the infamous library bits, The New Avengers, some singles and even Synthesis, his long-playing orchestral dabble with the Brit jazz boys. Disc Three is his Royal Military Spectacular, but the juice here for most is the unreleased soundtrack cues. What’s quite unbelievable is that the three discs, all with booklets and original sleevenotes by Laurie, plus copious pics, retail at less than a tenner for the lot. Blimey!
Journal Into Melody, November 08
Best value of the year is probably 50 Years Of The Music Of Laurie Johnson – a 3CD set available at less than £3 a disc. Disc 1 gives us 35 original soundtrack recordings from ‘The Avengers’; Disc 2 a further 23 examples of Laurie’s TV and film themes and concert hall work, such as This Is Your Life, Animal Magic, The Professionals, Whicker’s World, World In Action, Hallelujah, Pick Yourself Up, Fascinating Rhythm, Tiger Bay, Dr. Strangelove, The Beauty Jungle and Symphony [Synthesis], the latter featuring The London Philharmonic Orchestra, The London Jazz Orchestra and soloists Joe Harriott, Tubby Hayes, Don Lusher, Stan Roderick and Kenny Wheeler; Disc 3 is a ‘Royal Military Spectacular’ of original Johnson works with, among others, band players from the Royal Air Force, Coldstream and Scots Guards. What an imaginative composer and arranger Laurie is.